Gastronomy and Nutrition
Learn at your own convenience
|5 Aug 2019 - 1 Sep 2019
Live online lecture session once a week
|16 Hours of Learning
4 weeks of study - 4 hours per week + assignments
All inclusive price
Course offered in English
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- clearly understand the nutritional information required to support menus and products. Nutrition content claims and health claims are voluntary statements made by food businesses on labels and in advertising about a food. Standard 1.2.7 sets out the rules for food businesses choosing to make nutrition content claims and health claims
- generate a greater understanding of the marketing mechanism of food and health trends
- develop enhanced awareness of the nutritional cycle food travels through from soil to service
- understand the drivers behind who makes a superfood super
- discuss popular heath claims on prominent menus.
It facilitates the development of participants’ knowledge and encourages further study in this complex yet fascinating area and is designed to introduce participants to the varieties, contexts and issues involving our food.
Before nutrition became trendy, before kale became the superfood superstar, and before the green juice Instagram selfie was ever a ‘thing’, there was Sam Gowing, spreading the word on healthy cuisine and all that it encompasses. The Chef hat-winning restaurateur, who traded her fast-paced city career to follow her passion for health and wellbeing, retrained as a clinical nutritionist, and recently received her Master’s degree in gastronomic tourism from the prestigious, Le Cordon Bleu. She is the self-published author of The Healing Feeling, and writes prolifically on the future of food, food trends and the cult of the green smoothie.
She has established herself as Australia’s leading spa chef, kick-starting the ‘food as medicine’ movement, which has since snowballed into a widely embraced philosophy. Today, Gowing continues to create contemporary culinary masterpieces, designed to tantalize the taste buds as well as heal the body and nourish the soul. Her global wellness company Gowings Food Health Wealth creates culinary programs for luxury hotels, spas and health retreats worldwide.
For more information:
Here is the course outline:
Welcome & Orientation
Complete this short orientation to learn how to navigate through Le Cordon Bleu's Engage learning platform and upload required documentation.
Food Facts, Fads and Fiction
An overview of popular ingredients, a brief history of food fads and explore the future of healthy food on menus.
Menus and Marketing: Claim vs Aim
Understand current Food Act guidelines.
Macro and Micro Nutrients
Learn the difference between protein and carbohydrates, how minerals are the building blocks of cellular life and how they change when cooked.
How to have a healthy menu without flavour compromise and discuss and explore the future of healthy eating.
Course Experience Survey
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed:
|Certificate of Completion|